Falcon Feather

Falcon Feather

Teacher Obsessions

Silly or Valid?

We have all had that one teacher with a crazy obsession, either a character, collecting things, or a snack. Well, it turns out there are plenty of those teachers at WRMS. Here are some of those teachers and their obsessions.

Ms. Deters, 8th-grade WAVE SFA teacher, has an obsession with Taylor Swift and has since high school. “Her first album came out when I was a sophomore, and I remember listening to her music with my friends while we were studying.” 

Just like Ms. Deters, Mrs. Estenson, the All-Star ELA teacher, has an obsession, but with peanut butter. She loves eating peanut butter. Estenson said, “I started eating peanut butter straight out of the tub with a spoon a few years ago when I realized it was an easy, healthy snack.” 

Another teacher with a snack obsession is Coach Garland. He has an obsession with animal crackers and is known to carry them around in his pockets, so he can easily snack throughout the day. “How can you not love animal crackers?” Garland said. “You can grab a handful and go. They’re great!”

Mrs. Withey, the Eclipse science teacher, has an obsession with horses. “I have an amazing horse named PHOG that my son Jeff bought for me,” said Withey.  “I’ve loved horses since I was 4 years old!” 

Speaking of animal obsessions, did you know Mrs. Sergeant, the 7th-grade Comet science teacher, is in love with cows? No, not real cows, cartoon cows. This obsession started when Sergeant was in high school.  “Now this is all nostalgic and just a fun thing to have in my classroom.” Sergeant even has a cow costume she has had since high school and has worn it to school for spirit days. “I was also voted ‘Weirdest kid’ at my school as a senior for the yearbook and wore my supercow outfit for the picture.” 

Would you call these obsessions silly or relatable? Can you relate to some of these teachers, like Mrs. Estenson and her peanut butter obsession, or maybe you’re like Mrs. Sergeant who is obsessed with cows or animals?