Falcon Feather

Falcon Feather

Chasing Butterflies

7th Graders Tag Monarchs
Halle Merrick
On October 5th at WRMS, substitute teacher Mr. Tubbs held a Monarch butterfly carefully for the students to admire. “It was the only one we caught, but we didn’t get it tagged,” Tubbs said.

During September and October of 2023, the seventh grade teams participated in Monarch butterfly tagging. The teams walked out into the outdoor education area to look for Monarch butterflies to tag. They used nets to catch the butterflies and stick a tag/sticker onto their wings to help track their migration. The students did this to help understand Monarch butterfly migration. 

One of the All-Star students who participated was Tyler Flesher. Flesher said his favorite part of the whole experience was, “Being able to get outside and walk around. We don’t get to do that often.”

All-Stars science teacher Amy Campbell is the teacher who took the students on the outing. Unfortunately the All-Star team didn’t catch many butterflies. “We saw more this year,” Campbell said. “They were out of reach or escaped the nets!” One of the biggest challenges may have been the high temperatures. “The weather was way worse this year. It is not usually 90 degrees at the end of September like it was when we went out.” 

Past years were more successful, but maybe next year there will be cooler temperatures and perhaps more butterflies?

View Comments (1)