Falcon Feather

Falcon Feather

New Faces and Spaces

Each year, the middle school takes on new staff and says goodbye to the old ones. It is important that we get to know them and make them feel at home. Here are just a few of the unique new people in our building.

Ms. Harshbarger (Easton Holthaus)

Ms. Harshbarger is the new FACS cooking teacher. She has taught at WRMS for 14 years and just swapped this year. She taught Business FACS for 11 years, but for the past two, she taught SFA. When asked what her favorite experience while teaching was, Harshbarger responded, “I taught SFA the past 2 years, and one of my favorite experiences was teaching students on the challenge course. Lifelong teamwork skills in action and seeing students challenge themselves and achieve things they never thought would be possible (physically, mentally, emotionally) is the BEST!” 

Story by Easton Holthaus

Ms. Baranski (Jordann Shatto)

Ms. Baranski is our new librarian at WRMS. She will be talking to you every two weeks, to tell you about what new, cool books you should read. Baranski didn’t always plan to be a librarian. It wasn’t until later on in life, that she finally found what she wanted to do.“I didn’t know I wanted to be a teacher until my children entered elementary school. I became a librarian by accident and I’m so glad it happened!” Baranski had taught 3rd grade at Pauline Central for three years after she went to college. “I attended KU (Rock Chalk!) and earned a BA in English Literature. Then I went to Emporia State and earned my Masters of Library Science. I returned to KU to get my BSEd in Elementary Education.” She’s had plenty of experience when it comes to teaching and being a librarian.

Story by: Jordann Shatto

Ms. Bertels (Brynn Hughes)

Ms. Bertels is the social studies teacher for the Wave team, and it is her first year teaching at WRMS. When asked why she wanted to become a teacher, and why she chose to teach social studies, she responded, ”I always knew I wanted to be a teacher and by the time I reached high school I knew I would teach social studies.  I had several Social Studies teachers that instilled in me a passion for the subject and a desire to instill my love of learning onto others.” 

Story by Easton Holthaus

Ms. Deters (Easton Holthaus)

Ms. Deters is the 8th grade SFA teacher for the WAVE team. This is her first year teaching at WRMS. When asked what her favorite experience has been working here, she said, “My favorite experience so far has been working with the WAVE team. I feel so supported by them, and I enjoy working with them everyday.” My question was: Why did you choose SFA? “I thought teaching kids meaningful skills would be amazing.” She also said, “I think it’s important to teach social and emotional skills, so kids have a way to learn about what they are going through.” 

Story by Brynn Hughes 

Ms. Grant (Brynn Hughes)

Ms. Grant teaches media and reading intervention at WRMS. Grant started as a para at WRMS in 2018, and earned her teaching license in 2020. Since then, she has taught special education and math intervention, before switching to teach media and reading intervention this year. When asked what her favorite experience was at WRMS, she replied, “One of my favorite experiences was participating in the staff vs. students basketball game last year. It was a blast!” When asked why she made the swap, she said “Well, my bachelor’s degree from K-State is in mass media, so I had to jump at the opportunity to teach in the area I earned my degree in! I have always wanted to teach an elective class, too.” When asked what she enjoys about her job she replied saying, “I love that the students are in charge of our publications, and I am here to support them. It’s really special to see students own their work, and be proud of it. With reading intervention, it is exciting to see students make progress with such an important life skill. I love when students are proud of their progress!”

Story by Brynn Hughes 

Ms. Colwell (Jordann Shatto)

Ms. Colwell is our new History teacher on the Champions team. At a very young age, Colwell knew that teaching was her thing. “I always knew from kindergarten that I was going to be a teacher. For example, the day they asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I immediately said teacher.” Colwell worked here in the Middle School just last year. “I worked as a sub. I also student taught in the spring in Mr. Heinritz’s room.” 

Story By: Jordann Shatto