Falcon Feather

Falcon Feather

And the Award Goes to…

Community Applauds 3 WRMS Teachers for Their Dedication to Education
Mrs. Baranski was presented with the award in the WRMS library and congratulated by her colleagues that nominated her. (Grace Holland)

Three Washburn Rural Middle School teachers were awarded this spring for their hard work and motivation to help students be successful. A 17-person district wide committee and their colleagues made selections from 80+ nominees. Librarian Mrs. Baranski was one of the teachers who won an award, which was Certified Support Staff. Baranski was awarded at Washburn Rural Middle School on April 11th. Several different teachers nominated her, including Mrs. Murphy, Ms. Speagle, Mr. Dillon, and Mrs. Stones.

On April 11th, Mrs. Taylor was awarded with Secondary Distinguished Staff for the first time. (Grace Holland)

The second teacher that won a district award was collaborative SWAT teacher, Mrs. Taylor. She was awarded Secondary Distinguished Staff Teacher of the Year on April 11th. It was her first time winning a district award and she was surprised, but grateful. “I always try to do my best when it comes to my job. I am here to help students be successful, but I am willing to help out wherever else I am needed,” said Mrs. Taylor. 

ELA SWAT teacher Mrs. Wiles believes that Mrs. Taylor deserves the award because she’s worked with her for many years and knows how hard she works. “She continuously strives to help students succeed in all areas and does extra to ensure this happens,” said Wiles.

On February 22nd, Mrs. Dowell was awarded Kansas Master Teacher of the year. Mrs. Wilcox, Mrs. Leonard, Mrs. Stones, and Dr. Stoltenberg congratulated her at Emporia State University. (Photo courtesy of Mrs. Stones)

Gifted teacher, Mrs. Dowell, found out that she was selected as Kansas Master Teacher of the year for the State of Kansas by the state board on February 22nd. Dowell was working on a project with a student when WRMS principal, Dr. Stoltenberg, came in to pretend to check out what they were doing. Her phone rang, and she ignored it because the principal was in her room having a conversation with her. Dr. Stoltenberg answered her phone and Dowell was really confused as to why the principal was answering her phone. “Then, Dr. McWilliams, Mrs. Stones, and my husband walked into my classroom and I knew something was up. The nice lady on the phone gave me all sorts of information about winning Kansas Master Teacher that I didn’t remember because I was so surprised,” said Dowell. 

The 3 teachers were recognized on Monday, April 29th at 6:30pm in the WRHS library for their astounding accomplishments.